Sunday, January 8, 2012

Desk Top Mini Album Tutorial ~ Frosted Designs Show Me Sunday.

Hi everyone!!  Today is my turn to host the Show Me Sunday reveal over at Frosted Designs.  With Valentine's Day just around the corner I'm going to show you how to make a cute "Desk Top Mini Album" that would be a perfect gift for a teacher or co-worker for Valentine's Day?!!

Here it is closed...

Here it is opened (top view)


Here it is opened (side view)


Here is what you're going to need...
4 pieces of paper/cardstock.. I used SU Basic Black CS 
Paper cutter
Bone folder
Tape Runner
2 pieces (10" each) Ribbon
Decorative Paper
And a little "Bling" of your choice to decorate the front cover


Cut (4) - 8" by 8" pieces of paper/cardstock

Each piece of paper/cardstock you will need to do the following:
1) Fold it in half.. Use bone folder..


2) Unfold.. turn the page and fold it in half again... Use bone folder


3) Unfold, and now fold the page from tip to tip and make a triangle... Use bone folder


4) Unfold, and now do the opposite tip to tip and make another triangle.. Use bone folder.


Unfold and turn the paper/cs over... This is what it should look like..

Now you are going to do steps 1 thru 4 again on this side.. and don't forget to use your bone folder..

It should look like this..

Now you are going to take the upper left square and "pinch" it together, while the rest of the paper folds upward. Sometimes it wants to go downward and that is not correct...



You should have a little triangle and a 3 sided square box shape...


Now you want to open the little triangle up and go ahead and run your tape runner on the underneath side and press tight..


Now here's what you should have...


I apologize for doing this in black... It's a little hard to see, but you do have the 3 sides and a little triangle here..

Now this is all you're going to do with this for the time being... Now you need to do the other 3 pieces of paper/cardstock the same way....

This is what you should have when you're finished...


Now it's time to start adding your pretty papers!!! I find it's a lot easier to decorate each box before you attach them together.. Each square should be 4" x 4", so be sure and cut your pp a little smaller...

First I add the paper on the triangle side... It's a lot easier to do this before you tape down the outside edge of the triangle.. Now you can tape the triangle down along the outside edge... You should have a pocket for a tag...


Next you are going to do the bottom... You will have to do this in 2 pieces so it can fold up when you close your album..


Here's my first box decorated...


Here's the second box... You can now put these 2 together.. You should attach a plain "photo" side with a tag side...




Here I have 3 boxes put together.. Notice how I added the ribbon under the pp under the tag side..


Here you can get an idea of how it folds up... I still have to add the 4th "box"..


Here is the final box... Notice that I've added another piece of ribbon under the pp on the photo side this time.. Do NOT TAPE/ATTACH the last box to the first box... This is so you can close your album..

Here is a top view of this album.


Here is a closed view before it's decorated...


I covered the front and back with this pp..


Added a doily, glitter frame, little envelope I punched out with my Sizzix Die and then added a little twine and a little pearl heart...
And there you have my finished album ready to give as a gift of ready for me to add some of my favorite photos!!
You can't add a lot of bulk to these little albums, but you can add stickers, doilies, lace and a little bling...

I hope you've enjoyed reading through my tutorial and that just maybe you will want to give it a try. They make wonderful gifts!!  If you do make one I would love to see it..  Leave me a note and I'll stop by!!

And just a little reminder of a couple of things going on or coming up real soon!!!

FIRST ~~ PRACTICAL SCRAPPERS HAS A LAYOUT CONTEST GOING ON RIGHT NOW...  YOU WILL WANT TO GO HERE AND CHECK OUT THE DETAILS.... BUT HURRY THE WINNERS OF THE FIRST ROUND WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON JANUARY 14TH...

SECOND ~~ FROSTED DESIGNS HAS A WINTER WONDERLAND BLOG HOP STARTING ON JANUARY 20TH AND WE WILL HAVE MORE DETAILS ABOUT THAT AS WE GET CLOSER.. SO STAY TUNE!!!!

Thanks for dropping by today!!
Have a great weekend!!
Hugs!!
Pin It!

2 comments:

scrappinlil said...

Oh my Fern...This is so gorgeous...I really love the paper and really cool folds...I might have to give this a try...great gift for anyone!!! Love it. TFS

Barb Craft said...

Fern... I LOVE this mini!!! I have to make one! or two or three...!!! :) Now if I can get all those folds figured out!! Seriously though... great directions! You make it look so simple!

barb :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...